'Interesting'...that's putting it mildly.

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Another Op'nin, Another Blog

I'm a writer blessed with a wonderful and adventure-filled life. That sounds rather schmaltzy doesn't it?  It's sincere, but don't think this is all moonlight and magnolias. I suggest you continue to read and I hope that you'll find my thoughts interesting enough to follow my blog.

I was born in Dallas,Texas. I'm an only child and lost my mother to a Seconal overdose when I was 12. Ironically, she never made the connection between her habit and one of her favorite movies. Mama's death devastated me. I was a rather grand little boy who got through and to this day gets through the tough times by my love of movies. I live in Los Angeles. I'd wanted to move here since I was 8 years old and about 17 years later, I did just that. I wanted to be a writer and I did just that, too.

I don't call my adopted home town 'L.A.',...well...just because I don't. When I'm feeling really grand and pretentious, I pronounce it as  'Lohs An-jell-eez'. Told you I was grand. But not original. Rent a copy of 'The Long Long Trailer' with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz: Lucy says it the same way.

BTW, I'm nuts, like many highly creative, highly successful, Type 'A personalities, in my opinion.

I turned 50 in October 2012 and that December I landed in jail for a few weeks. To put it sarcastically, my crime was having extremely bad taste in men. That's the simple explanation. Someone I once cared about very much has quite a bit to do with the backstory. I'd blogged about that, and the cyber-cafe society where we played and partied for two years. I'd even gracefully bowed out and admitted defeat as he'd fallen for someone with whom he was more compatible...ok...head over heels, nutsy-koo-koo over. I knew this, but couldn't keep my pride, arrogance and heartbreak in check. I was in deep trouble, and too self-centered to know it.

My time 'away'  released me from a prison I'd built around myself: one of depression, 'stuck-ness', out of control self-medication and spiritual disconnection. I'd lost track of how many friends died and how powerless I felt. Once off that treadmill I was faced with a new set of challenges...

Challenges I still have. I'm finding solace in prayer, meditation and being of service to others. Thus, I am quite grateful for these last five years, though the journey isn't exactly one I'd select.

Truth is stranger than fiction. I look forward to learning some truths about myself and achieving self-realization.

In the meantime, perhaps the lens in which I view and live my life will help you, or at least entertain you.

No comments:

Post a Comment